Saturday, February 7, 2009

Deconstruction/Reconstruction

As I start my poker life as a primarily cash game player.. I'm realizing that sometimes I feel like I don't have the slightest clue as to what I'm doing.  Some might say it's inexperience, read more watch videos post etc.  I feel like it is the exact opposite problem.  I feel like I've taken in so much information from so many different sources that I was never able to digest it all properly, so when a moment comes up where I need some knowledge.. I recall about 7 or 8 different articles, written by 7 or 8 different people, with 7 or 8 different playing styles, and I have a difficult time choosing which option is the best option for the spot I'm in.  This often creates a lot of frustration and leads me to choosing either an -ev option or the option that isn't the most +ev.  I know that I'm going to make mistakes, as I simply haven't played enough cash game hands to really pick up on all +ev spots, but when I'm reviewing a session and I find spots that I know I should have done differently, it's slightly irritating.  

So what I feel I need to do is pretty much forget everything I've read about poker.  Keep the basics in my head (hand rankings are kind of important ldo)  but re-learn everything.  Go through sources that I know and trust when I feel I need to learn more about a specific concept.. but for the most part, re-teach myself how to play.  I don't feel like I'm a particularly bad player, but I do feel like I'm trying to do too much at times, rather than sticking with simple things that beat micro games.  Overall, I'm fairly happy with my cash game so far, but I know there are things I need to improve in order to be able to move up and crush higher games.  Hopefully by re-learning this game, I will be able to play on a higher level than I have been playing on lately.

No comments: